Pages

13 July 2012

Crossing

Don't you just love crossing shit off your list? I do. It satisfies my need to organise my world. You may remember earlier this year I mentioned the shizz I want in 2012. Yeah well, here's an update... I've been crossing that shit off left, right and centre.

  1. Buy a piece of artwork that will fit in that currently empty spot above my dining table.
  2. Get to at least an intermediate level in French conversation.
  3. Install a splashback in my kitchen, so I don't have repaint that fricken space behind my cooktop again.
  4. Mend all those items of clothing that have minor faults; a button missing here, a broken zipper there. And then wear them.
  5. Read 30 novels.
  6. Learn to love, tolerate, pretend to tolerate exercise.
  7. Draw, create, make more.
  8. Get an engagement ring made, so that people actually believe it when I say I'm engaged.
  9. Reduce my bread and potato intake (but I love them so much!!!!!!)
  10. Spend less and invest more.

NUMBER 1: Firstly, yeah I bought a piece of artwork. After drooling over this Melissa Smith work at Handmark Gallery for the last couple of years, I finally decided it's coming home with me. I have an amazing framer near my parents house, he now just frames for me after closing his business. But he makes his own frames from Tasmanian oak, they are just superb and really bring out the beauty of the art. I've just had an email saying its ready for collection. Woo hoo!

Continuing on, while I was home last time, I emptied out that basket of clothes that needed mending or altering, and I got my pioneer woman on and effing fixed them. You know, a missing button, a broken zip, new jeans that needed the hems taking up etc. Hell yes. Suddenly I had new clothes to wear. Revolutionary, my friends. My ancestors would be proud. NUMBER 4. Check. This leads me on to:

NUMBER 10: I am certainly spending less. And investing more. After working and living out of a suitcase for nine months of the year, I've realised I don't need much. And I've become much less sentimental about stuff. Genetically I'm a hoarder. Dad saves everything, and takes great delight in reusing a screw or bracket or something that he saved from that old toaster that died ten years before. Mum, on the other hand is far more brutal. She clears clutter like a tornado when she's in the mood. That aside however, it's such a good feeling to be debt free other than my mortgage, getting ahead every week instead of living from paycheck to paycheck and be on the road to financial freedom. But then again:

NUMBER 8: I finally got my engagement ring made. This equals expenditure! But we saved for it, paid for it in cash, and kept to our allocated budget, so I am happy.  I spent weeks drawing designs for it, found a jeweller on the internet who does custom work and together we've come up with this. It's beautiful I think. I am really happy with it. It's an engagement and wedding ring all in one, made of palladium, with engraved elm leaves around the band and studded with a combination of pale blue and white diamonds for a touch of twinkle. A little bit different I know. But my new initials are ELM (pretty huh?!), so I thought it would be nice to celebrate them with a leaf design.



NUMBER 9: This one was achieved probably not through any willpower on my behalf. It was kind of taken out of my hands. Two months ago, I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease. It came as a bit of a shock, but certainly explained the two years of vertigo, tinnitus and ear pressure I had been experiencing. A big part of the treatment for this lifelong condition has involved commencing a low salt diet, which by the way is quite an adjustment. It was very difficult in the beginning. But the reason is that by reducing my sodium intake, I subsequently reduce the fluid that builds up in my inner ear which in turn reduces my symptoms dramatically. So because of that, pretty much all processed foods are now off the agenda. Including bread. I now beef up my pioneer status and I cook almost everything from scratch. I study nutritional labels in the supermarket religiously. But on the upside, I now eat very healthily, my cardiovascular system will think I am a saint, and therefore my risk for many other lifestyle related conditions will surely be reduced. It's been a challenge, I was hoping that I would be easily cured rather than facing a lifelong progressive condition, but there are many people much worse off than me. I have nothing to be complaining about.


How about you? How are your resolutions for 2012 coming along?


2 comments:

  1. You are, as always, one big gorgeous ball of inspiration, Miss Eve. Love that ring and hope the ears are complying! Miss you lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so good at looking on the bright side :)
    and what?! you mended every item of clothing that needs mending?! no way, i don't believe that, aren't those piles endless..

    ReplyDelete