Pages

29 March 2011

Day 2: no 87... Food


Oh the challenge of still life.

I used to hate drawing apples and pears and bowls of fruit in high school art classes. Nothing bored me more than thinking about perspective and shading. But No 87 on the list said food, and these are the first things that came to mind. In retrospect, I could have drawn some more interesting looking food, but these were bought at the local Kowanyama shop this morning, and hence they came to hand. And anyway, I kind of enjoyed it...

I'm reading a book at the moment called 'Your Artist's Brain' by Carl Purcell. Mr Purcell has helped big time. Instead of drawing what I think an object should look like (because intellectually I have learnt that exhibit A looks a certain way), I am learning to draw what I see. So I am paying attention to highlights and shadows, angles and curves and looking for finer detail, something I've never done before. Its quite exhilarating!

I'd put these drawings in the 'Not Too Shit' category, (as my friend Winnie Ho would say). Not bad for my early return to drawing!

No comments:

Post a Comment